Cognia Law is an international law company, providing consulting, flexible resourcing and managed legal services to law departments and law firms. The company brings cost-effective, process-optimized and technology-enabled solutions to solve clients’ most pressing legal challenges. Cognia Law collaborates with those who are game changers in adjacent areas delivering holistic, value-based solutions and world-class delivery with best-fit talent.
Cognia Law is a Chambers-ranked law company and has a reputation for really making a difference and being focused on solving clients’ problems and enabling sustainable change in the legal sector. The key to success is our people – not only do we attract and retain the best legal talent but focus on enabling our team to realize their full potential.
For more information visit: www.cognialaw.com
To provide a high quality, timely and cost effective origination support and transaction execution service to the global banking businesses, primarily to support the global banking relationship managers through the negotiation of standard form bilateral loan documentation and related agreements.
The new employee would become a member of a new loans negotiation team sitting within the UK Credit & Lending Legal team in Global Banking and which supports a variety of business areas including Multinationals, UK Banking and the Financial Institutions Group.
The role can be expected to require the following:
• the ability to negotiate and review contractual documentation relating to bilateral loan facilities. Documentation to include committed and uncommitted loan agreements, guarantees, legal opinions and corporate authorisations;
• ensuring that procedural checks and balances are observed as well as identifying and escalating issues of concern with global banking relationship managers and Legal as well as internal stakeholders such as Compliance, Credit and Portfolio Management;
• controlling and driving the documentation negotiation and execution process from first draft to financial close and, as required, be involved in post-issue management;
• managing relationships with the various internal and external stakeholders involved in the transaction; and
• keeping abreast of relevant regulatory and legal developments insofar as they affect financing transactions in the businesses being supported, and disseminating to colleagues.
• Qualified lawyer or experienced paralegal with a law degree who has experience of negotiating loan documentation (preferably investment grade and leveraged loan facilities) and strong transaction management skills.
• Secondee experience (in business or Legal) helpful but not essential.
• The ability to speak another language in addition to English would be preferable but is not essential.
• be proactive and dynamic;
• the ability to work independently but also as part of the wider Credit and Lending Legal team;
• be responsive and focused on client service;
• be commercial and solutions-focused with the ability to draft appropriate legal provisions reflecting the agreed outcome;
• be highly organized;
• have excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• be capable of building strong relationships with key stakeholders and external clients;
• be able to give guidance to key stakeholders and strategically think through solutions;
• be able to work effectively in a pressurized and time sensitive environment;
• display a flexible and adaptive approach to work