The role holder is effectively the lead country counsel for east africa based in Nairobi and primarily supporting uganda and Tanzania scb markets and has responsibility for managing all legal risks, providing legal advisory, management and transactional support for the country support functions, to group technology, CABM, finance, SCM and other support functions. the role holder will also support the business functions retail and corporate.
• Drives the development and maintenance of good relationships with internal and external business stakeholders at appropriate levels ensuring an open and cooperative environment.
• Executes and provides advisory for transactions and cases in a timely and effective manner.
• Effectively manages the process of engaging external counsel, including providing effective instructions to external counsel and negotiating appropriate fee structures.
• Uses technical knowledge of all business products undertaken in kenya to provide sound, technical product, legal and transactional advice to the business.
• Leads in the proactive and strategic identification of material legal risks in the business.
• Influences stakeholders and staff to improve the management of legal risk.
• Contributes to the legal team's risk governance process.
• Works with country head of legal to manage the process of engaging external counsel.
• Promote alternative dispute resolution as a means of quick settlement of disputes.
• Establish and maintain relationships with external lawyers agreeing fee structures, billing procedures and levels of service.
• To provide, where appropriate, periodic reports to management on claims, disputes and relevant legal developments
• Drafting, negotiating, amending and reviewing agreements and other documents to ensure that the bank's interest is protected.
• Attend to legal correspondence, pleadings or orders promptly and proactively ensure all the required documentation is in place.
• Proactively discuss all new litigation with business and agree appropriate action.
• Review progress of outstanding disputes and liaise with and manage external lawyers to ensure effective representation of the company in legal proceedings.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
• Display exemplary conduct and live by the .
• Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics.
• Lead to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles
• Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
• Exercise authorities delegated by the Board of Directors and act in accordance with Articles of Association
• Head of legal Kenya and east africa
• Head of legal uganda
• Head of legal Tanzania
• Corporate affairs, brand and marketing
• Supply chain marketing SCM
• Group legal
• Retail business
• Corporate business
• External lawyers/counsel
• State actors in the east African countries Other Responsibilities
• Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in the Legal Team; Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
• Application of analytical skills and the application of legal skills are essential Qualifications
• Advocate of the high court of Kenya, Tanzania or uganda • Ability to combine strategic perspective with quick execution
• Ability to deliver high quality of work consistently
• Demonstrated track record of creativity, problem solving and follow through.