To provide legal support and advise on all legal and legal-related matters including, but not limited to, contracts, litigation, labour, compliance and corporate legal matters. Render assistance and support to the Legal Department, under supervision of the Legal Manager.
Key Performance Areas:
• Provide legal support and advise on various legal matters, to minimize and control risks to the
SAWS • Provide assistance to ensure that legal documents and other contractual documents are properly drafted, reviewed, interpreted, and vetted
• Develop and maintain an updated and accurate SAWS contract register
• Communicate/ workshop approved departmental policies and relevant legislation with all internal stakeholders.
• Co-ordinate, where necessary, comment on the development and amendment of legislation, in cooperation with internal and external stakeholders
• Conduct research on requisite legislation and case law when required
• Maintain relevant and effective systems and processes for the department
• Co-ordinate and manage litigation matters for and against the SAWS • Liaise with and instruct the SAWS external legal service providers (attorneys)
• Assist with the dispute resolution in accordance with the SAWS policies and the legislative framework.
• Where necessary, represent the company at various levels dispute resolution mechanisms, e.g. Bargaining Forum, the CCMA etc., with the aim of managing the SAWS’ interests.
• LLB or other relevant legal Degree
• Admission as an Attorney or Advocate (Bar Admission)
• At least 3 (three) years post-articles/ admission experience. Technical and Behavioural Competencies Required:
• Contract Management
• Litigation, arbitration and mediation processes
• Sound knowledge of Labour Law and Commercial Law
• Compliance monitoring
• Legal drafting
• Research ability
• Written and verbal/ presentation skills
• Analytical skills
• Organising skills
• Sound practical judgment
• Team player
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Grasp complex areas of law rapidly and accurately