The Faircape Group, a dynamic and leading property and healthcare company has an exciting opportunity for a Legal Advisor to join our Legal Department based in Claremont, Cape Town.
The incumbent will be highly motivated and take full responsibility for drafting, reviewing and advising on legal agreements, in addition to managing contracts and related issues to ensure policies and procedures are up to date and enforced.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Working closely with the CEO to understand the Group’s strategy and to identify potential risks or issues;
• Review and drafting contracts and day-to day contract management
• Assist in documenting policies and processes to ensure the effective operation of the Group;
• Responsible for identifying legal risk and ensuring that same is managed effectively;
• Taking instructions and drafting lease agreement, addenda cession and assignment of leases, renewal of lease agreement, etc.;
• Participate in lease negotiations Managing tenants arrears, litigation process, settlement proposal and collection of arrears;
• Drafting and reviewing of commercial property contracts within the Group
• Communicating with various banks regarding new and existing facilities, and renewals thereof;
• Managing due diligence.
• Manage the execution of purchase and sale agreements including the transfer of residential / sectional title and commercial properties.
• Draft and review legal agreements.
• Liaising with Attorneys on all legal matters, including conveyancing;
• Drafting of Fibre Installation and other IT based agreements (ie. High Site Agreements);
• Managing the application process for land development, amendment to spatial use conditions, zoning schemes, and changes in conditions to facilitate general property development.
• Managing tenant arrears, collections, including issuance of letters of demand, drafting or summons/rent interdict and execution thereof.
• Managing litigation processes, settlement proposals, High Court work including briefing Advocates and Attorneys.
• Remain abreast of all changes in the legal, tax and corporate governance in South Africa and internationally.
• Provide technical input on proposed changes to legislation ie. Community Schemes Ombud Service Act regulations.
• Advise management of changes in legislation and implementation of same;
• Vetting of marketing material and external communications (including website and disclaimers)
• Attending the Masters office, Deeds office, CSOS,City of Cape Town
• Any other duties, as assigned by the line manager, in line with the role
• 3 - 5 years post articles experience • Extensive contracting experience essential
Skills and Attributes
• High attention to detail with top level drafting and communication skills • Able to handle multiple projects, prioritize work and work effectively under limited supervision • Able to work under pressure and deliver under short timeframes • Logical, systematic and methodical • Strong mediation skills and ability to settle disputes • Creative and innovative problem solving skills