Legal Analyst, International Legal Development Programme
International Legal Development Programme ("ILDP")
The ILDP is an 14-month programme that will offer legal graduates the opportunity to gain employment and work experience through a structured learning and development programme.
Taking part in the ILDP, Legal Analysts will develop client and commercial skills, increase their technical capability and improve their personal leadership qualities. They will also have the opportunity to work with the firm's disputes, corporate and finance practices, alongside Partners and Associates across the firm's international network, giving them exposure to global clients.
Legal Analysts completing the programme will gain a deeper understanding of the work of a global law firm and a stronger CV, therefore increasing their chances of securing a Candidate Attorney position, or other roles in legal or professional services sectors, as they continue their careers.
Legal Analysts are part of our Alternative Legal Services team, working closely with Managers, Senior Lawyers, Lawyers and Trainees across our international network.
• Conducting document review, due diligence and other fee-earning work as required
• Providing general support to the ALT Management team in the Johannesburg office
• Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of relevant areas of law to the Alternative Legal Services practice
• Ensuring compliance with financial disciplines on matters
Commitment to the ILDP
As participants of the ILDP, Legal Analysts will also be expected to:
• Attend, participate in and complete all learning and development modules
• Apply the learning in their day-to-day roles
• Complete and keep up to date their personal learning log
• Support the performance and effectiveness of colleagues joining the programme as part of further cohorts by transferring knowledge and skills
Skills, experience and qualifications
Qualifications and skills
• Essential; Law graduate – (LLB or equivalent) and/or a post-graduate (LLM or equivalent) qualification. Applications are welcome from undergraduates who expect to obtain this in advance of the programme
• Ability to review, analyse and organise documentary and factual evidence
• Excellent attention to detail; aims to get it right first time
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Aptitude for learning (and becoming proficient in) the use of software and IT applications, and using software tools intelligently to navigate large databases/document management systems
All applicants must be eligible to work in South Africa at the time of application and for the duration of the programme. Due to the nature of the programme we are unable to accept applications from individuals who have previously completed articles.
Personal Leadership: finds opportunities to develop and sustain themselves
Technical Capability: builds legal knowledge and insight
Produces high quality work
Contributes to Team and Firm: volunteers, assists others and contributes to positive team spirit
Teamwork and Communication
Contributes to firm
Enhances the Client Experience: delivers excellent service to clients
Understands the client context
Innovates to support the firm
Please note - Applications will close at midnight on Thursday 12th September 2019.
Group / Team
Alternative Legal Services
Group / Team description
The Alternative Legal Services business delivers high quality, cost-efficient legal services for document or information intensive, defined process work. The team works in a complementary and seamless way, offering a combination of legal expertise, process efficiency and client technology solutions to our clients. The key products and services of our Alternative Legal Services business include document review, regulatory claims assessment, due diligence, verification commercial contracts, funds' repapering, client technology services (including advisory and document review software) and asset management for real estate clients.
Diversity & Inclusion
We aim to have a diverse, innovative culture where high performance, client focus and highly engaged people are our differentiator and where we celebrate the uniqueness of our people. Our firm is made up of people with a range of experience and backgrounds. We strive to ensure that our inclusive environment means our people feel valued and able to perform at their best by being their authentic selves at work. We know that our future success not only depends on being innovative and progressive in the changing legal market but, most importantly, on our people feeling engaged.