ABOUT THE COMPANY Fenix uses customer-centric design processes to create high-quality, affordable, and long-lasting ReadyPay Solar Home Systems for frontier markets. Our software engineers architect and continually innovate on our proprietary cloud-based software to facilitate sales, ensure responsive customer relationship management, and collect and analyze rich data.
Fenix is seeking a highly motivated Associate Legal Counsel to support the Global Director of Legal & Ethics across a wide range of core Fenix Legal workstreams.
This is an exciting chance to join one of the fastest-growing next-generation energy companies in Africa, with the opportunity to gain a full-time role if you prove to Fenix your hard-work, intelligence, passion for our mission & ability to execute. The Associate Legal Counsel position will report directly to the Global Director of Legal & Ethics.
Fenix Legal works closely with the finance, commercial, talent, and executive teams to ensure that Fenix maintains legal compliance, marries strong legal agreements to facilitate operations, and unlocks catalytic financing and commercial partnerships across Africa. In addition, Fenix Legal provides advice on legal issues (including matters related to financial services, technology, data protection and intellectual property), supports business strategy development and liaises with ENGIE legal and local counsel as needed. The Associate Legal Counsel will be involved in all these workstreams, as described in more detail under the Key Responsibilities set out below.
This role presents an opportunity to work with a talented, welcoming, multicultural team operating across multiple countries while helping Fenix create innovative customer and team-driven policies and strategies in pursuit of our goals.
Your work will be based in Fenix’s headquarters in Kampala, Uganda.
• Draft, negotiate and review legal documentation for Fenix’s various projects and operations
• Maintain current knowledge of updates to legislation throughout all jurisdictions within which Fenix operates
• Help prepare legal advice to the commercial teams on regulatory and local laws, coordinating with local counsel as needed
• Help ensure that Fenix is in compliance with all material local laws and regulations throughout all jurisdictions within which Fenix operates; Assist with regulatory filings
• Help implement corporate structures as we open offices in new markets, which include coordinating incorporation, regulatory compliance and real estate leases
• Help implement corporate governance matters for Fenix’s entities, including board meetings, shareholder meetings and director appointments/resignations
• Help engage and manage external counsel, control the quality of services performed and monitor their cost
• Research and support in relation to data protection
• Support IP development and monitor trademark/patent registrations Legal database
• Manage Fenix Legal’s database, with systematic and user-friendly filing of all contracts, legal documents, advice memos, etc.
• Develop reference pages for other teams with commonly requested legal resources (e.g. template NDAs with guidance on how to choose and adapt template) Ethics
• Support the Global DIrector of Legal & Ethics in its capacity as Ethics Officer for Fenix, including: • Carrying due diligence ethics checks on counterparties;
• Preparing training materials in both English and French;
• Adapting template ethics clauses for new agreements; and
• Internal reporting REQUIRED SKILLS Contractual negotiations, Legal counseling, Contract drafting and preparation, Legal analysis, Judicial processes and litigation