To assist the Head, formulate and ensure the achievement of the Legal Services Department’s strategy in line with the corporate strategy;
Manage a team of legal specialists responsible for providing legal services
Provide sound, clear and accurate legal advise in order to minimise the legal risks that the IDC is exposed to in its daily activities
To provide leadership and ensure efficient and effective management of staff and resources in the legal Services Department
To assist the Head, formulate and ensure the achievement of the Legal Services Business Plan;
To assist the Head co-ordinate, the Corporation’s dealings with external law firms and ensure that the Corporation benefits from cost-effective legal advice and work;
To facilitate the provision of authoritative legal advice to the Corporation, Value Chains, Business Units and Departments on a range of general commercial issues;
To participate in negotiations of transactions;
To assist in facilitating the drafting and review of contracts and other legal documentation (including legal policies, standard terms, agreements and templates) and to develop standard form legal documentation where possible;
To ensure that changes in the law and in regulations that affect the Corporation are identified, and to advise on appropriate action;
To drive a culture of high performance and facilitate skills and knowledge transfer between staff within the Department;
To assist the Head in overall strategic leadership, management and quality control of the Department;
To ensure a focused and directed customer centric service by providing legal services that are proactive, appropriate, effective and efficient so as to facilitate achievement of the Corporation’s outcomes;
To assist the Head in managing internal stakeholders (i.e. Strategic Business Units, Service Departments)
• Collaboration and Influence: The successful candidate is a senior person who will be highly visible and credible with key internal and external stakeholders and assist with proactivity in aligning risk strategies to address the business. The candidate will be required to assist the Head in collaborating across the organisation and will act as a partner to other stakeholders, providing thought leadership and collaboration on business issues. They will be able to offer constructive suggestions for the benefit of the entire team. This individual will have strong influencing and collaboration skills, as evidenced by the development of strong relationships with key leaders throughout an organisation.
• Leadership: This individual will possess excellent personal communications skills that engender credibility and confidence both inside and outside the Corporation, and will possess a team-first mentality. Resourceful and a self-starter, the candidate will know how to make things happen through his or her people, while also being hands-on. The ideal candidate must have natural leadership abilities and be capable of assisting the Head crafting the vision and creating support from within. Leads by example. Possesses a strong “presence” coupled with an open and direct communication style. Adaptable and flexible. Easily adjusts to varied audiences effectively.
• Teamwork. A true team player. Supportive of his or her team, peers and others across the organisation. Contributes to an atmosphere in which people work together, enthusiastically and effectively in producing outstanding results.
• Results Oriented. Energetic, resourceful, sophisticated and savvy, with strong service orientation and positive can-do attitude. Fully committed to the job and to delivering outstanding work. Never satisfied with status-quo, continually striving for excellence. Enjoys working “hands-on”. Strong attention to detail.
• Ethical. Can be trusted to do only the “right thing” for the employees, shareholder, stakeholders and clients.
• Judgment. Makes timely decisions while including necessary people in the decision making process. Exhibits sound and rational judgment.
• Communication. Possesses excellent written/oral communications skills as well as excellent persuasive and presentation skills. Able to deal effectively with a broad range of personalities and cultures.
• Change agent and strategic thinker. An innovative thinker who is comfortable designing for the future, while managing day-to-day matters.