ILFA is a UK based organisation focused on building excellence in legal services across
Africa. The goal of ILFA is to enhance the quality and delivery of legal services to clients
(both in and out of Africa) and to strengthen the rule of law in Africa.
To this end, ILFA operates an annual international secondment programme where lawyers
practising in various African jurisdictions are selected and sponsored on a 3-month
secondment at highly reputed international law firms based in London, Paris and Dubai.
During the last decade ILFA has successfully seconded and trained almost 200 African
lawyers from 20 jurisdictions, and in 2016, the programme was further extended through the
introduction of an intra-Africa secondment programme.
Given ILFA’s overall commitment to legal training and capacity building and in view of the
overwhelming need in Africa for comprehensive continuous legal education, the Angaza
Africa Law Training platform was created. Angaza’s mission is to equip lawyers from across
Africa with the tools and know-how required to deliver excellent legal services both in Africa
Position Overview & Responsibilities:
We are currently recruiting an ambitious, organised, conscientious individual to work as
ILFA’s Programmes Manager. The manager will be responsible to the Executive Director for the management and development of ILFA’s secondment and legal education programmes and to ensure their efficient running in accordance with ILFA’s policies, practises and financial structures.
The role is focussed on promoting, profiling and providing a strong voice for all of ILFA’s programmes and will appeal to candidates who are strong communicators and effective multi-taskers with a genuine interest in building relationships with law firms based in Africa, Europe and the Middle East. The successful candidate must have strong written communication and organizational skills, be able to work under pressure and manage multiple deadlines.
The ILFA Programmes Manager you will be responsible for:
Day to day management of ILFA secondment programmes including:
• Managing all secondment process steps such as evaluating applications, overseeing shortlisting and selection of ILFA candidates
• Overseeing secondment logistics such as transportation, accommodation and visa arrangement for ILFA lawyers
• Recruiting and liaising with ILFA host organisations
• Organising secondee extranet, advanced training and induction programmes
• Supporting and liaising with ILFA’s growing Alumni network across Africa
• Collating and updating data and information relevant to the programme
• Championing social media including our Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter accounts
• Helping to ensure that all marketing communications channels are exploited to
convey consistent messages about all ILFA’s programs
• Working to develop campaigns that promote ILFA secondment programmes such as client surveys, target client lists, visuals and aesthetics
• Drafting and designing marketing and promotional materials (i.e. award submissions, ILFA yearbook, quarterly newsletters)
• Updating internal policy documentation and manuals as well as external facing documentation (Handbook, Terms and Conditions, pre-departure material) annually or as needed.
• Developing campaign plans in order to strengthen existing relationships and develop new client opportunities.
• Supporting ILFA’s internal admin processes such as maintaining master mailing lists, alumni profiles, and CVs etc
Organizing and managing ILFA’s educational programs through its Angaza platform
• Raising the profile of Angaza amongst all its constituents and target audience including international law firms, African law firms, in house legal teams, law schools, ILFA alumni and law societies
• Working to increase Angaza’s reach and subscription base including through online and social media marketing campaigns
• Identifying new content for the Angaza site including for blogs, legal updates, legal precedents and video training
• Identifying and filling content gaps, finding new content providers
• Undertaking legal, factual and market research including researching legal trends, hot sectors and markets.
• ensuring the content is properly structured and sufficiently Africa focussed.
• Working with Lexis Nexis and others in relation to filming and editing of content
• Working with presenters in coordinating and scheduling filming of Angaza videos and scripts. Reviewing edited content.
• Working with ILFA’s technical partners (Learning Cart and Streaming Company in managing technical aspects of Angaza platform
• Maintaining and developing strategic partnerships and relationships for ILFA L&D/ Angaza including ALSF, African LII and the APP.
• Contacting key customer representatives to build interest in, and understanding of, the online learning product.
• Devising, developing, producing and documenting strategies, policies and practises to enhance ILFA programmes
• Initiating new strands to the programmes to meet the changing identified needs
• Helping to develop, drive and implement an annual fundraising strategy which is creative multi-layered and sustained
• Assisting with planning and implementation of an annual development plans as agreed with directors
• Assisting with ILFA Board management including reports
• Fully contributing to and participating in creative meetings and discussions regarding developmental thinking about ILFA’s programmes
• Assisting with managing and monitoring budgets and finances against outcome targets
• Supporting funding proposals and other client development presentations including drafting and editing text where necessary;
• Developing the ongoing strategic plan for the development and implementation of programme goals
Skills & Attributes
The successful candidate will need to possess:
• excellent oral and written communication skills
• well-developed interpersonal skills and the ability to build successful partnerships
• Sensitive to different cultural contexts
• strong research, analysis and planning skills
• Able to multi task, manage multiple deadlines ad work with people in different time zones as part of a virtual team
• the ability to learn quickly and adapt
• Attentive to detail and strong research and analytical skills
• flexibility and good time management
• commitment to, passion for and belief in ILFA’s aims and objectives
• good working knowledge of and/or genuine interest the African continent, its laws, history and politics and its relations with the rest of the world
• must be able to speak confidently and authoritatively in public and must have the quickly develop trust with lawyers and law firms
• a passion for legal training and capacity building across Africa
• appreciation of business development, marketing and PR methods along with commercial understanding
• strong administrative skills including numeracy
• initiative, creativity and ability to be forward-thinking
• Aware of social media and digital marketing tactics and strategies
• Conversant with Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Visio